Lost & Found Pets
Public Records Notice
Building & Zoning
Monthly Activity Reports
Hiring a Contractor?
Below are some helpful hints to follow when hiring a
- Get at least three estimates from different contractors
for the same job. Donít be victimized by someone making a door-to-door
presentation offering to do repair jobs or home improvements "on-the-spot" and
requiring a cash deposit.
- Make sure that the contractor you choose is licensed by
the State of Florida or your county government. To verify if a contractor is
https://myfloridalicense.com/ and click on the link, "Search for a
License, Permit, or Registration". You can also call
- Ask your contractor for references, and follow up with
those references. Make personal contacts and ask about the quality of
- Read your contract very carefully, including warranty
information on any products used to strengthen your home. Require a
written contract with the contractorís license number on it. Donít sign if
there are any blank areas and until you fully understand the terms.
- Donít pay cash, donít let payments get ahead of the
work completed, and donít pay the full cost of the job up-front. Make sure
that building material costs are paid; ask for receipts.
- Make sure that the products used meet code requirements
and all appropriate building permits have
been pulled with the Town.
- Check workersí compensation coverage by requesting to
see a certificate of insurance. If injuries occur on your property, you may be
You can verify if a Florida contractor has a state license by visiting
by calling the board office at (850) 487-1395.
(sources: myflorida.com and Floridaís Construction Industry Licensing Board)
Page last updated